by Anar Simpson, Global Ambassador – Technovation Challenge
Last year I shared the path that led me to Technovation. Fast forward one year – the Technovation program has doubled in size with amazing opportunities for young women around the world to work toward their vision of changing the world!
Read last year’s (2013) story here:You are Invited to…
Today I want to share the amazing projects these young women have created through the program.
The young women are encouraged to create apps that address a problem within their own community. Many of the problems are basic human struggles,such as stress, fitting in, and uncertainty.
But the triggers and solutions vary greatly across communities. The stress of living in a slum is very different than the stress of being in an affluent high school, which leads to amazingly diverse apps to help people navigate through their world.
The group that wins the competition gets resources to develop their app for the market; something that I would have loved as a student.
Many of the 2014 apps can be seen here: http://2014gallery.technovationchallenge.org/ They include:
- Paani, Hai Jeevan (Water is Life) is a mobile application designed for people living in slum and lower income group to collect clean drinking water.
- iJoin Together is a bullying help and support app, that brings people together. This app includes help, information, games/ distractions and many more features.
- Are you looking to do more community service? Do you need someone to do a job for you? If you’ve answered yes to either of these questions, then Helping Hands may be the app for you.
- Ambrosia means the golden food of the Gods. It symbolizes a combination of wholesome food and good health. Ambrosia merges these significant aspects of our life.
- The QuitMosquito Application is a mosquito repellent application with a touch of a music player. The application works by emitting a very unique high frequency (ultra-sonic) sound
- Are you living on a tight budget? Are you looking for a gorgeous piece of clothing? Want that perfect item but can’t afford it? Look no more! GrabIt! is the perfect solution for you!
- FastAid is an android phone application that enables the user to access a pre-defined database on commonly occurring conditions, their symptoms , and the first aid treatments
- Have you ever walked through campus and noticed litter on the ground? You are disgusted but don’t want to take the time to stop and pick up someone else’s trash.
Details on the 2014 finalists and winners can be found here http://www.technovationchallenge.org/world-pitch-finalists/
What continues to inspire me about this program is the quality and calibre of apps which are solving real problems all around the world. In 2013, Technovation had participation (signups) from 19 countries and in 2014 we more than doubled that to participation from 45 countries!
The curriculum is on-line and free. The experience is amazing and every middle and high school girl should have a chance to get the experience of this program.
Today, I’m asking each of you to become a mentor for the 2015 cycle (you will learn app development along-side the girls and model life-long learning with them) and grow the STEM pipeline with more women. (2015 Mentor Information). I hope you will join me in this journey, to change the world by encouraging and supporting others in this very technology pervasive world, whether with the Technovation Challenge or other programs that speak to you, and be a part of the global community of women supporting tomorrow’s women.